05 April 2007

romance in the trees

A "romantic," or "romanticist," is defined as someone who indulges in excessive sentimentality. I am a self-proclaimed romanticist. I always have been and always will be. I don't really like the word "excessive" in the definition, but it is accurate at times. It wasn't until I went to college though that I learned exactly I am what kind of romantic I am. I figure there is the typical romantic that does stuff on anniversaries and special occasions. There's the casual romantic that will show up with flowers when he hasn't done something wrong and it's not an important date. And there's the Romanticist that constantly dreams up moments and events to make the other person feel special. I fall into a lesser-known sub-category we'll refer to as "tragic romantic."

This condition has so been defined by my best-friend and I as being romantic to a fault. More often than not, it is simply out of a desire to serve others and for that look in their eyes when the perfect moment is created or a great surprise is pulled-off. To give a couple of examples that he and I have been a part of: showing up at UGA with a bag full of elementary-school-styled Valentines and candy hearts for a hall of girls and then taking all of them out for a V-Day dinner, driving 3.5 hours to surprise someone with flowers and asking her to formal, writing someone a letter for everyday that you're apart, writing verses and verses of poetry. He and I also helped imagine and create five of our good friends' engagements - think hundreds of candles and rose petals for each one. Having discussed recent life events with him though, we've discovered that all of this really spurs from how we love. I know no other way to love than with everything I have. Herein lies the beautiful tragedy.

Most would call a love like that wonderful and some would probably say that it is the only way it should be. But it is like climbing out on a low limb of an old tree - it starts off strong and sturdy, but the further out you go the thinner the branch gets. Loving like that automatically places you on a perilous edge that when the branch finally breaks, or your footing becomes unsteady, you fall - plummeting like a goose picked-off in mid-flight.

Over the past several months, I've climbed all the way out to the very end of my branch. I didn't want to, but God was beckoning. I was scared at first, but after a while I followed without looking down. I reached the end, knew it, and stepped off. What I hadn't realized was that God was slowly bending the branch so that the last step was little more than a stumble instead of an experiment on atmosphere re-entry. I've learned a lot climbing trees.

I Peter 1:6-7 ". . . though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith . . . may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."

4 Comments:

Blogger Hallie Holland said...

Well, I'm not much of a commenter, but somehow I put you on my bloglines months ago and so when you starting posting again the other day you popped up on my unread list. I guess I feel like I should just “warn” you that I'm reading. :) I have loved tracing your travels and reading about your take on the design of such monumental historic places in Japan and Europe. It is a refreshing change of pace from my mommy-world.
So, I'm guessing that you broke up with your girlfriend. I had wondered if that was the case from what you wrote about in Rome. However, I was not an English major (symbolism, trees, branches...huh?), have absolutely not one piece of subtlety about me, and so I could easily be missing out on the message.
At any rate, if it was a break-up, I'm sorry. And as an old married lady, I offer one piece of advice (although being a second cousin hardly earns me many chips to cash in on advice-giving)....You were made to find and woo a princess and that takes nothing less than a knight. I can tell you are such a man and am thankful for God's work in you. However, if the luster of the armor (or the beauty of the princess, or the thrill of the chase) outshines the simple prose of a band on the left hand, then it is a fleeting beauty and a temporary thrill. Don't give up on the romance, just save most of it for 10 (or 25 or 50) years after the princess becomes your queen.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

It's good to hear from you. I think you read into it pretty well (look what that UVA education can do ;) ). Thanks for the advice - definitely well said.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Jenny Fleming said...

Nice post. But WHO are those girls at UGA that you gave valentine's to??? I WAS NOT included my dear friend T.Jack. I'm very upset with you right now. j/p

12:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is beautiful, tjack! well-written and well-thought. kudos, my friend!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home